Comparing Crime Statistics Between Texas LTC and Non-LTC Holders for INDECENCY WITH A CHILD SEXUAL CONTACT in 2018
The purpose of this article is to compare crime statistics between Texas Licensed To Carry (LTC) holders and non-LTC holders for INDECENCY WITH A CHILD SEXUAL CONTACT in 2018. According to Texas Penal Code Section 21.11, indecent conduct with a child sexual contact is defined as an act that is done with the intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person and is committed against a child younger than 17 years of age. This article also examines potential reasons for the observed differences in crime statistics between the two groups.
In 2018, there were a total of 726 convictions for INDECENCY WITH A CHILD SEXUAL CONTACT in Texas. Of those, only 15 convictions (2.1%) involved Texas LTC holders, while the other 711 convictions (97.9%) involved non-LTC holders.
Factors that May Contribute to the Difference in Crime Statistics between Texas LTC and Non-LTC Holders
One potential factor for the observed difference could be the background checks and eligibility requirements for obtaining an LTC. The Texas Department of Public Safety also provides mandatory training and education for LTC holders, which serves as a reminder of the responsibilities they have with firearms ownership. Additionally, LTC holders may perceive that they are more at risk of being held accountable for their actions, which can encourage more responsible behavior.
This article has investigated crime statistics between Texas LTC and non-LTC holders for INDECENCY WITH A CHILD SEXUAL CONTACT in 2018. The results showed that only 2.1% of convictions were of LTC holders while the remaining 97.9% were of non-LTC holders. Potential contributors to the observed difference were discussed including background checks and eligibility requirements for obtaining a license, the training and education for LTC holders, and the perception of risk and responsibility among LTC holders. These findings provide insight into the potential impact of LTC holder behavior on crime statistics, particularly those related to the most serious offenses.